I hope you won’t hold it against me.
I am human, with 4 little humans to care for and a life in the mission field.
So, here we are and I would like to start again by sharing another favorite tea. A ‘must-have’ for every mama who is planning to nurse or already nursing!
This special tea mixture is amazing! I couldn’t believe how much milk I was producing with no painful engorgement when my milk first came in after drinking it.
This stuff is good!
Yes, my breasts still felt tight and tender, but it wasn’t painful and I wasn’t uncomfortable. Just make sure you have a bra that fits comfortably, I didn’t with my 4th baby and I was uncomfortable for the first couple days! Live and learn!
1 1/2 gallons of tea in 3 days?! I know that’s a lot, but I saw and felt amazing results from drinking it! From then on I had plenty of milk for Tabitha and didn’t even have to drink anymore of it throughout my time of nursing Tabi.
I guess that happens with almost all first-time Mamas, right?
But it doesn’t have to be like that!
But I was determined the second time around that I was going to mentally and physically prepare myself better so I can nurse Tabitha successfully.
I ate the 7 super foods as much as I could. I took all my supplements. I made sure to cast aside all thoughts of doubt through prayer (truly, nagging & doubtful thoughts can hinder your body from producing milk!).
I, of course, got the recipe from my midwife and you will see that it contains a lot of the same herbs in the Super Happy Belly Tea. You will also see some new herbs and seeds that are known to encourage milk production and enrich it!
I have drank this tea with my 3rd, Tobias and my 4th, Poema. Never once worried about having enough milk and I even like to make a big batch of this tea once in a while because it tastes so yummy!
In fact, I am going to go make some right now!
All About the Ingredients
Below you will learn along with me all the amazing benefits each of these herbs provide to improve the amount and quality of mama’s milk!
- Red Raspberry Leaf: This herb is every pregnant & nursing mama’s best herbal friend! It is the best single herb that we can take for total uterine health, which is very important before, during & after pregnancy. It is vital for your uterus to work itself back to pre-pregnancy shape after birth! There is a long list of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that the uterus needs to work efficiently. Red Raspberry Leaf has basically all of them! It is filled with essential minerals and vitamins like magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, vitamin C, E, A and B complex. It also contains easily assimilated calcium and iron. This mama’s best friend increases fertility, tones the uterus, aids in easy birthing, restores the womb after birthing, helps prevent miscarriage, reduces morning sickness, soothes muscle/leg cramps and backache, and counters fatigue. This herb is not only great for mama and baby, but for the whole family… read more here!
- Nettle Leaf: You will find that nettle supplies amazing amounts of energy and increases the richness of mama’s milk! It is rich in chlorophyll, a significant source of vitamins A, D, C, B, and K, bio-available minerals, including huge amounts of calcium, magnesium silicon, and potassium chloride; protein, and dietary fiber. It prevents folic acid anemia and iron deficiency anemia, and is also a digestive aid, a strengthener to the lungs, an ally of the kidneys, and a restorative to the hair and skin. It has the ability to increase the efficiency of liver and kidney function, which very important during pregnancy. It also helps prevent varicose veins and hemorrhoids, eases leg cramps and backache and reduces the incidence of hemorrhage after birth.
- Red Clover Blossoms: This herb is valued for keeping breast milk rich and our breasts healthy! Red Clover contains chlorophyll and has been called by herbalists a “God given remedy”. These flowers are used in folk medicine as a cure for any cancerous lump or tumor and its alkaline qualities purify the blood. It is used to treat infertility and the generous amounts of minerals, proteins, antioxidants, and phytoestrogens in red clover restores health to the entire reproductive system (great for men too!). Red Clover is an excellent herbal source of calcium, chromium, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium. Plus, it helps relieves anxiety, which can affect your milk supply!
- Blessed Thistle: Most commonly used to enrich and increase breast milk supply… Blessed Thistle also helps lift postpartum depression and relieve suicidal feelings too! The term ‘blessed’ was applied centuries ago from its reputation as a cure all, a remedy even for the Black Plague of the Middle Ages. This plant’s curative properties were considered a gift from God! Blessed Thistle is known to help balance female hormone problems such as painful menstruation, dysmenorrhea and amenorrhea. It also strengthens the heart and lungs, brings oxygen to the brain & strengthens memory and brings circulation to every part of the body. In the last century, blessed thistle has received a reputation for its action on the internal organs such as the liver and kidneys. Plus, it is an excellent source of potassium and sodium.
- Dandelion Leaf: This amazing weed enriches breast milk in nursing mothers. Dandelion is rich in many nutrients, vitamins and minerals such as calcium, iron and vitamin A. This plant contains all the nutritive salts for the blood. It restores and balances the blood so anemia that is caused by deficiencies of these blood salts disappears. It also contains bitter compounds that enhance the efficiency of the body’s eliminative and detoxifying functions. These compounds help restore normal liver function, increase the production of digestive fluids and enzymes, particularly bile, increase the flow of urine and have a laxative effect… all very important functions that should be in good working order after pregnancy!
- Borage: Highly respected for its ability to increase milk flow. Borage contains high levels of calcium, iron, potassium, zinc, vitamin B & C and beta carotene. This flower also has very high levels of gamma linolenic acid, an important essential fatty acid. It is often used to boost GLA deficiencies in children as well to ensure proper growth. Borage is used to restore the adrenal glands to their natural balance, which can create a calmer body and mind. It is also well known for its soothing qualities and has been used to treat nervous conditions. Its natural sedative effects have been used for lifting the spirits and softening the nervous edge. Borage works well to ease depression and mood swings often associated with menopause and menstrual cycles.
- Fennel Seeds & Cumin Seeds: Known to increase milk production and tone the digestive system. Fennel & Cumin not only help in milk production, but is also fantastic for colic & flatulence in small babies. Their powers are carried through the breast milk, curtailing colic and indigestion. Both help normalize the appetite, increase the flow of urine and help cleanse the liver. One of fennel’s greatest attributes is its ability to make the unpleasant taste of many herbs more tolerable.
Now, some of you are probably wondering why I didn’t include fenugreek seeds… my midwife said she preferred not to use them because they give a strong, somewhat unpleasant taste. She believes all the herbs and seeds listed above is more than enough to improve the flow and nutrition of Mama’s milk.
Second option is to simply mix everything together with only some herbs leftover. The extra you will have are simply wonderful to give away as gifts to other nursing mamas… yeah, putting this tea in a dressed up jar made wonderful gifts!
Third option is to simply order Bulk Herb Store’s already made nursing tea if making your own seems too much for you right now. Either way, you will still be getting important vitamins and minerals needed for healthy milk and baby!
4 parts Red Raspberry Leaf