Honey Banana [Guava] Bread (Soaked)By Marillyn Beard – Makes one 9′ by 4′ loaf
- 3 cups spelt or whole wheat flour
- 2 cups buttermilk, kefir or yogurt (or water with 2 Tbsp. acid medium)Mix flour and cultured dairy throughly. Soak in a warm place for 12-24 hours. The bread will rise better if soaked for 24 hours.
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/3 cup honey (you can up this to 1/2 cup if you want it sweeter)
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter and/or coconut oil
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup guava, scoop out seeds & chop (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)Mix in remaining ingredients. Pour into a well-greased and floured loaf glass pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours or till a toothpick comes out clean.NOTE: I use this variation sometimes – Banana Spice BreadAdd 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, 1 tsp. cinnamon & 1/4 tsp. ground ginger to the batter before pouring into the loaf pan.
Enjoy with lots of butter!